£28K + Depending Upon Experience – London, SW11
A Junior Developer / Spider Writer is needed to join one of the world’s largest online search engine and price comparison website for wines and spirits. Expect to work as part of the scripting team writing Java web spiders to crawl wine / alcohol merchant websites for specific information.
This role is an office based (London, SW11), full time position.
Created in 1999 and used by millions this leading database and search engine brings together wines and prices from merchants around the world. They are now seeking a Junior Developer / Graduate Spider Writer who is looking to enter the tech sector.
Under the guidance of the team leader, the Junior Developer / Graduate Spider Writer will grow and develop their skills writing Java spider programs that crawl websites gathering wine information as well as maintaining and / or redeveloping old spiders that fail.
In more detail the Junior Developer / Graduate Spider Writer will:
- Browse and analyse merchant websites to find the relevant wine or alcoholic beverage information.
- Test spiders for errors and accuracy.
- Maintain and fix spiders that fail.
- Manage tasks and workload and communicate regularly with the team leader on progress and/or problems.
- Communicate with Wine-Searcher wine experts when unsure of the collection of wine related information from a merchant website.
- Manage scripts appropriately to ensure files are stored in the appropriate directories.
To qualify…You should be a Junior Developer / Graduate Developer / Junior Spider Writer / Graduate Back End Developer or similar with a CV that demonstrates:
- Experience in computer programming, Java experience a bonus.
- Knowledge of internet techniques and methodologies, such as web application development, etc.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A willingness to learn and progress.
In return, expect a unique opportunity to be part of a globally recognised digital brand where you can increase your wine knowledge, enjoy private healthcare and a friendly, social office environment.
Overseas applicants- must ensure that you have the right to work in the UK.